Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Glass Etching!

First off, it is a pill to photograph etched items.  A REAL pill.  You need to first actually have your kitchen counter cleaned COMPLETELY off (no crumbs...ha! Like that's gonna happen at my house!)  And, it needs to be clutter free as not to show up junk in the background.  (Double ha!!!  Oh, thank God for photo editing software.)

I made these mugs for a friend's Anniversary.  I used my Silhouette this time, as I really believe the Silhouette, without the mat, makes a smoother cut, thus making it easier to "weed".
Photo editing happened here

Photo editing happened at the top of this one.  
After you decide on a typestyle, cut your vinyl and weed, it's time to stick your stencil on your glass and etch!

I use Armour etch, (you can get it at Michaels, JoAnne's, and I think, Walmart.)  It is the stuff!  If you by chance drip any or it gets on an area you didn't intend to etch, forget it.  It is STRONG stuff and will eat some of the glass, no matter how quick you wipe it off.

I let mine set for 5 minutes, then rinse.  Etching is permanent, and a beautiful way to remember special events!

No comments:

Post a Comment